Sunday, February 28, 2016

Three's a crowd

I am willing to admit that I made a mistake. Who would have thought 14 months later we would still be dealing with Ryan's bedtime issue!

Quick rewind: December 2014, I made the decision to take down the crib and upgrade to a big boy bed. The following 4 - 5 months, Ryan refused to sleep on it, preferring the floor. Not to mention requiring someone to accompany him.
 
Today: Our munchkin has graduated to OUR bed. Both Mom and I sort of like having this snuggle buddy with us but the kid has grown and it's now tight quarters. For every warm snuggly moment, we have to experience:

  • Space. Ryan rotates, flips, twists and turns throughout the night, pinning Mom and I to the edges of the bed. 
  • Kicking. Ryan goes to extreme measures by jackhammer kicking to create room. 
    • If that doesn't work, he will stab you with his knife-like toes.
  • No Covers. I often find myself frozen with the covers down by my knees. 
  • Sass. Unwanted commentary about the sleeping conditions. "Dad, you breathe loud and your mouth smells horrible!" 

Perfect example: Last night Ryan came in at 12:50am and made his way into the middle of the bed. With my arms at my side, he placed his right leg on top of my left arm.

In a serious/annoyed whisper:
Ryan: Dad, stop touching my leg!
Dad: My arms are at my side. There's no room.
Ryan: Go find room somewhere else!

I then laid down the law in a half-ass manner: "That's it. When you turn 4, no more sleeping in Mom and Dad's bed."

Nothing like kicking the can down the road to get your point across!

2 comments:

lxforever said...

basically dying laughing while I read this one. You are so funny and should write more. I'd like a 'dad humor' book from you too, please.

I can't believe he got on YOUR case about being on HIS leg. OMG THE GALL! AHHAHAHAHAHAHAA.

I think I slept in my parents' room for quite some time, after awhile though they just put a quilt on the floor and said I could sleep there. Worked like a charm (except I'm a terrible sleeper now, FWIW, ha). GOOD LUCK! Funny how we think sleep issues are done at like 12 months old HAHAHAHA no.

Daddy-o said...

Agreed! There are so many great moments not posted on here. I regret not having a phone or camera nearby. Most of all, I wish I had the time to write everything down. One of the best moments came as the three of us were lying in bed. I told Mom and Ryan, "Good night, I love you." Without a beat, Ryan turned to me and said, "I don't love you." T.R.O.U.B.L.E.!